3 Things I Wish I Knew About Entrepreneurship Before I Started
I think it's so important that we as business owners and entrepreneurs have some transparency behind our experience. It's great to inspire people with your success, but we must share our frustrations, vulnerabilities, and insecurities throughout our entrepreneurship journey.
If I'm being honest, I want you to know that I'm just like the mums in my tribe! I started my business without any capital, hustled during nap times, and for a short period of time, I returned to my day job. It's true that I am walking the same path as so many of you.
So it's with complete love and honesty that today I'm going to cast a spotlight on some of my own entrepreneurial struggles that I've faced and how I've overcome them.
LET'S GET INTO IT
In this episode, I'm revealing the three things I wish I knew about entrepreneurship before I founded Mums With Hustle. Yep – I'm getting real and raw with you about some of my headspace hangups, and how I work around them.
I truly hope you take some time to really listen to this entire podcast. If you can't listen and you'd rather have a quick read – here's a recap of what I discussed. I really want to be the best mentor to you as possible – so the juiciest bits are saved for your ears!
1. Mum Guilt
Oh my goodness! I have experienced my fair share of mum guilt because I'm an ambitious mother. Did you know that there are many mums that experience mum guilt and you don't even have to be a bizmum to experience it? So true!
Key Points I Discussed:
How am I an ambitious mother?
What is my experience with mum guilt?
- I was plagued with the most common forms of mum guilt because I wanted to be the best mum I could be.
- I felt like I was forced to split my attention between my biz and my children.
How can you push through mum guilt?
- Keep in mind that we feel mum guilt because we're such awesome loving mothers. I think that's a really beautiful thing!
- Focus on how much of a loving and incredible mum you are.
- Think about the quality of time you spend with your children and your ability to be present in that time.
- Understand there will naturally be time when work/life demands more of you. Go with the ebbs and flows of our hectic lives.
- Have trust in yourself.
2. Imposter Syndrome
I really wish I was more prepared for experiencing imposter syndrome. You know what I'm talking about… that inner critic that creates self-sabotage? Yep, it's there to make sure entrepreneurship is always uncomfortable.
Key Points I Discussed:
How does your ego control so many of your feelings?
When does imposter syndrome kick in?
Why you shouldn't let imposter syndrome keep you small?
How can you manage imposter syndrome?
- Don't let the voice get too loud in your head.
- Don't seek out what makes you feel bad.
- Remove yourself from the settings that allow imposter syndrome kick in.
- Practise self-care – it can be something little that makes you feel good.
- Hang with the people who are in your corner! Have a conversation in real life with someone that can understand and listen to where you are and then tell you it's b.s. and shed some light on the situation.
Running your business from home can be incredibly isolating. You could go days or even a whole week without talking to someone in real life! This leads to you becoming a hermit and avoiding social interaction altogether. In this section, I chat about how I overcome the feeling of isolation.
Key Points I Discussed:
How am I incredibly disciplined when it comes to working from home?
How can you combat the isolation?
- Leave the house for a business lunch or for coffee.
- Schedule the time in where you can go outside and get social.
- Attend a networking event in your area. There's so much value in attending these things where you can connect with people in real life.
This episode of the Mums With Hustle podcast is proudly brought to you by Social ConXN and the Collab & ConXN Event that is taking place on the 5 of May in Melbourne.
The event is designed to get small business owners collaborating, connecting and networking through real relationship building in a full day workshop with some kick-ass biz babes, Jess Ruhfus of Collabosaurus and myself.
You will walk away with a full day of learning, engaging, real life relationships, collaborations and photos to get you well on your way to building your business and socials.
With Jess' extensive experience in collaboration and me being the go to Insta collab queen this will be like nothing you've ever attended before!
As a VIP you will walk away with a fabulous starter pack, access to One on One Q&A with the hosts/guests and entry into our networking evening.
[button text=”Grab your tickets today!” url=”www.socialconxn.com.au/shop” class=””]
CONNECT WITH ME
LOVE OUR PODCASTS?
Okay, mama! I'm going to give it to you straight, 'cause you know that's what I'm about. Podcast reviews are super important to iTunes and the more reviews we receive the more likely iTunes will reward us with better reach. I want to reach more hustling mamas that can add extreme value to our kick-ass tribe. Help a sister, out? I already love you forever, but I’d be extremely grateful if you would review me on iTunes!
As the founder and CEO of Mums With Hustle, I have the best day job in the world: teaching entrepreneurs how to grow their beautiful businesses online. When I started the business, that was everything I wanted, but since then, it has grown into something much bigger. Now, I get my joy from helping women find their zones of genius within a community that truly celebrates their success. I truly believe that when women choose to band together, we can do anything - and if you feel the same, there’s a place in the MWH community for you.
you might also like
FREE Reels Guide For Business Owners
Grow your following, boost your reach and grow your business with INSTAGRAM REELS.
Swipe 10 of the most effective Instagram Reels content ideas for business owners right now - including secret strategies my members and I have used to skyrocket our engagement (I'm talking over 40K views on a single REEL within 24hrs)!