When All You Wanna Do Is Procrastinate
A couple of weeks ago, I found myself wanting to procrastinate and not do the things that I knew would move the needle in my business.
These are the tasks that are less sexy and a bit mechanical or technical. Procrastination shows up a lot for me when I'm working on something really purposeful.
I know a lot of the women in my tribe can relate, so today I'm chatting all about procrastination and how you can overcome it!
LET'S GET INTO IT
This episode is for the ladies who want to do purposeful work, but find themselves procrastinating and thinking about all of the other things they could be doing with their time!
If you are looking for a guide to uncovering and banishing self-sabotaging beliefs, then you should check out this episode here.
1. Types of Procrastination
There are several types of procrastination that manifest for various reasons. In this section, I'm sharing several types of procrastination and why they show up. Here's a quick spoiler: Procrastination stems from fear!
Key Points I Discussed:
Does a past experience impact your actions?
- This type of procrastination shows up when we want to avoid a situation.
Do you fear being judged?
- This shows up when we are afraid to put something out there into the world because we don't want to be judged.
- Keep in mind that the less serious you take yourself, the more impact you can have in your business.
- Create affirmations to combat this fear!
Are you afraid of failing?
- Look at children – They are approaching new experiences as if everything is play.
- One of my affirmations to combat my fear of failing is: Business if fun, business is light, business is playful.
Does part of your fear revolve around success?
- Some people fear success because they're afraid of the limelight.
- Have you put a type of meaning around what success is?
- Fearing success is very common.
Do you fear completing tasks that are heavy to you?
- Consider outsourcing.
- What does this look like if this was easy?
Do you fear asking for or receiving money?
- Ask yourself questions about how you feel when you ask for the sale.
- Do you try to make the tasks harder because you believe money comes from hard work?
2. How To Stop Procrastinating
Being self aware is great! But how are you going to manage and overcome your procrastinating now that you know you're doing it? In this section, I'm sharing how I stop procrastinating so I can truly move the needle in my business.
Key Points I Discussed:
Ask yourself some questions:
- Get to the bottom of what you're feeling.
- What about this task or project are you truly avoiding? What pain have I attached to this experience?
Is it even so?
- Can you switch from being problem focused to being solutions focused?
- How can you invite ease into this situation?
Change your physical space:
- Sometimes I'll change my scene three times in a day, or I'll even leave the house completely.
- Change your whole state and your energy by being in a different space.
Limit distractions and set a timer:
- Put your phone somewhere else.
- Turn off notifications on your computer.
- Work in 20 minute chunks.
- The more time you have, the more time you have to waste procrastinating.
Go to your inner circle:
- It helps to have a support network of women to go to that you can unpack your feelings to, so you can work through it.
Practical things that I do personally:
- Essential oils
- Get fresh air
I hope this episode has really helped you let go of any guilt for carrying around procrastination. Try to pay more attention to the language we use about ourselves, our business, and what we're capable of.
I challenge you to ask yourself some deeper questions to really get to the bottom of why you're procrastinating. Feel free to jot these down or put them in your IG Stories via video and tag me @mumswithhustle telling me what you loved the most about this episode.
CONNECT WITH ME
Biz Club: MWH Biz Club
LOVE OUR PODCASTS?
Okay, mama! I'm going to give it to you straight, 'cause you know that's what I'm about. Podcast reviews are super important to iTunes and the more reviews we receive the more likely iTunes will reward us with better reach. I want to reach more hustling mamas that can add extreme value to our kick-ass tribe. Help a sister, out? I already love you forever, but I’d be extremely grateful if you would review me on iTunes!
If you've loved this podcast, never miss another one! All you have to do is SUBSCRIBE to the Mums With Hustle Podcast on iTunes.
As the founder and CEO of Mums With Hustle, I have the best day job in the world: teaching entrepreneurs how to grow their beautiful businesses online. When I started the business, that was everything I wanted, but since then, it has grown into something much bigger. Now, I get my joy from helping women find their zones of genius within a community that truly celebrates their success. I truly believe that when women choose to band together, we can do anything - and if you feel the same, there’s a place in the MWH community for you.
you might also like
FREE Reels Guide For Business Owners
Grow your following, boost your reach and grow your business with INSTAGRAM REELS.
Swipe 10 of the most effective Instagram Reels content ideas for business owners right now - including secret strategies my members and I have used to skyrocket our engagement (I'm talking over 40K views on a single REEL within 24hrs)!