By Tracy Harris – MWH
Understanding who your Facebook audience is, where they hang out, what their interests are and what time of day they are active are just some of the things that will help you get better at Facebook targeting.
Understanding your audience is a major factor in determining the success of your ads and attracting the right audience. When you start getting specific on Facebook Ad targeting and you are clear on who you are targeting and why you’ll begin to experience greater success in your ads.
Throughout the latest podcast with Angela from Dotti Media, you may have heard me refer to the terms “warm audience” and “cold audience”. We didn’t really explore those terms in detail in our chat because we had too many awesome Facebook tips and tricks to talk about. You can listen here to get all those tips and strategies but for now, I thought I would elaborate a bit on what is meant by a “warm audience” and “cold audience” and offer you some specific examples to get your started on your Facebook Ad journey.
So, what is it?
When it comes to Facebook Ad targeting there are really two groups of people. Those that have heard of you (warm) and those that have not (cold).
– Those who are on your email list are warm.
– Those who have liked your page – your fans, are warm.
– Those who are active and engaging on your posts are warm.
– Those who are following you on social media but not really engaging with your posts are warm.
– Those visiting your website can also become a warm targeting group. Click here to learn about the super cool Facebook pixel which you can place on your website and Facebook will begin to keep track of that web traffic and then can you target those same people with your Facebook ads.
If you have an email list, you can upload those onto Facebook and they will match the addresses with people’s profiles. Once it has done this, you can target those individuals. With this warm targeting technique, you can be more direct and personal with the intention behind your post, as they will already recognise who you are as soon as they see the ad. These ads can also be a continuation of what you may have emailed to your list beforehand, giving the feeling of consistency. This would be considered a very WARM audience.
– Those that have never come across your brand before – they have zero connection to you.
– Those who follow a page similar to yours are cold but it shows they have an interest in what you have to offer.
– Those who match the profile of the followers (fans) you’ve already attracted to your page – Facebook can mirror that audience and target to that group too. This is called a Lookalike Audience. You can then use filters to customise that audience even more.
– Those who you “think” fit your target demographic (age, location, interests) but they haven’t come across your biz yet.
If you’re a mum blogger or you sell baby related products and you are looking for new traffic, you might want to COLD target people who like or follow a successful brand that you believe holds your audience, for example, Babyology. This is strategic COLD targeting, in that the audience already follows the other brand for similar reasons your audience already follows you.
I hope this little explanation helps bring some clarity to the topic of Facebook Ad targeting. It can be really intimidating and confusing when you’re looking at Facebook Ads but it doesn’t have to be.
If you found this helpful you can access more great tips with my Cheat Sheet of Quick Wins for a Better Understanding of Facebook for Your Biz. Just sign up and I’ll deliver it straight to your inbox in minutes.
If you’re ready to dive in and learn some specific strategies from a Facebook Ads guru then join me on Episode 23 of the Mums With Hustle Podcast where I interview Angela Ponsford from Dotti Media. I’d love for you to join me.
As the founder and CEO of Mums With Hustle, I have the best day job in the world: teaching entrepreneurs how to grow their beautiful businesses online. When I started the business, that was everything I wanted, but since then, it has grown into something much bigger. Now, I get my joy from helping women find their zones of genius within a community that truly celebrates their success. I truly believe that when women choose to band together, we can do anything - and if you feel the same, there’s a place in the MWH community for you.
you might also like
FREE Reels Guide For Business Owners
Grow your following, boost your reach and grow your business with INSTAGRAM REELS.
Swipe 10 of the most effective Instagram Reels content ideas for business owners right now - including secret strategies my members and I have used to skyrocket our engagement (I'm talking over 40K views on a single REEL within 24hrs)!