Build and grow your email list
- YOU have total control. If Instagram changed its terms and policies tomorrow what would happen to your following? Anyone with a Facebook business page knows the feeling of being at the mercy of changing algorithms and updates out of their control;
- It just feels more personal. You can set up your email lists to greet each of your subscribers by name. You can automate a sequence of emails based on your subscriber's actions so that it is individualised to them; and
- Getting an email address from someone is a different kind of special than a social media like or follow. You've just been invited into someone's inbox. Anyone with an overflowing inbox will tell you that that space is hot property! They most likely want to hear what you have to say or offer if they've invited you there and asked you to stay. And sometimes they do invite you in but don't ask you to stay…but more on that later.
How to start
- Put an email opt-in on the homepage of your website if you have one (see below if you don't). If you're on a tight budget I can highly recommend Hello Bar and SumoMe. They offer free stuff! SumoMe offers a range of website traffic tools that I find really useful. Have a look at their Heatmap option – amazingly helpful for finding out where people are clicking on your site! SumoMe also offers a free pop-up option (List Builder) that detects when a potential customer is about to leave your website. A floating opt-in ‘pops' up on the screen to ask for their email. Too easy! By the way… I'm in no way affiliated with either Hello Bar or SumoMe… I'm just so glad I found them and can share them with you here!
- If you don't have a dedicated website I suggest still building your email list. Tell all your family and friends, and you can also direct people via your social media channels to your opt-in form within your chosen email provider. Create a form in line with your branding colours and voice.
- Offer something of value for free. Make it something quality and useful to entice the reader to opt-in. It doesn't have to be expensive or lengthy. Digital is always good. The Mums With Hustle opt-in when you land on the homepage is a perfect example. Tracy's offering a FREE monthly business kit to every subscriber. I'm all in! On the Brindie website I offer a free custom designed ‘Today I Choose Joy' printable because ‘Belinda' (listen to the podcast for more info on who Belinda is :)) likes to decorate her space with beautiful and inspiring quotes.
- Tweak the copy of your opt-in until it feels right. What would your dream customer respond to? What do they want? What can you offer that would entice them to plug in that email address?
The next steps after you are up and running
So, once you've been given that all important golden ticket to someone's inbox party, what do you do now?
- Be consistent. Create an editorial calendar. Put it in your diary! People may not be ready to buy from you right now, but if you can stay top of mind and in front of them, chances are they'll be ready one day. I like to email weekly, but there is no hard and fast rule around this, but just remember to respect and treat your relationship with your subscriber like gold. Would you ignore a family member or friend for months on end?
- Create a template for your newsletters that's in line with your branding so you aren't reinventing the wheel all the time.
- Create email subject lines that are questions, evoke an emotion, solve a problem or inform. Make them customer focused and impossible to ignore. You do not have to sell in your headline – make it about the reader.
- Provide free content that inspires, educates and fits with your dream client's needs, wants and interests. Make it actionable and related to your products or services. Free content is an awesome way to give people a taste of your business so they can get to know you and your offering. If you get stuck with what to include you can always look at your website FAQ page or customer queries for questions that need answering and answer those in your newsletter.
- Your content can be in any combination of formats. Words, stories, quotes, images, tutorials, video or audio – find the right fit for you and your business. Your emails DO NOT have to be lengthy and laborious for you. Make them short, sweet and personal if that's how you and your business roll.
What about when they unsubscribe?
Learn more about Lisa here:
Mums With Hustle Biz Kit
[button_1 text=”CHECK%20OUT%20THE%20BIZ%20KIT” text_size=”32″ text_color=”#000000″ text_bold=”Y” text_letter_spacing=”0″ subtext_panel=”N” text_shadow_panel=”Y” text_shadow_vertical=”1″ text_shadow_horizontal=”0″ text_shadow_blur=”0″ styling_width=”40″ styling_height=”30″ styling_border_color=”#000000″ styling_border_size=”1″ styling_border_radius=”6″ styling_border_opacity=”100″ styling_gradient_start_color=”#efaafd” drop_shadow_panel=”Y” drop_shadow_vertical=”1″ drop_shadow_horizontal=”0″ drop_shadow_blur=”1″ drop_shadow_spread=”0″ drop_shadow_opacity=”50″ inset_shadow_panel=”Y” inset_shadow_vertical=”0″ inset_shadow_horizontal=”0″ inset_shadow_blur=”0″ inset_shadow_spread=”1″ inset_shadow_opacity=”50″ align=”center” href=”www.mumswithhustle.com/bizkit”/]
As the founder and CEO of Mums With Hustle, I have the best day job in the world: teaching entrepreneurs how to grow their beautiful businesses online. When I started the business, that was everything I wanted, but since then, it has grown into something much bigger. Now, I get my joy from helping women find their zones of genius within a community that truly celebrates their success. I truly believe that when women choose to band together, we can do anything - and if you feel the same, there’s a place in the MWH community for you.
you might also like
FREE Reels Guide For Business Owners
Grow your following, boost your reach and grow your business with INSTAGRAM REELS.
Swipe 10 of the most effective Instagram Reels content ideas for business owners right now - including secret strategies my members and I have used to skyrocket our engagement (I'm talking over 40K views on a single REEL within 24hrs)!